This B type bus ‘Ole Bill’ is typical of a considerable number which were shipped overseas during the First World War of 1914 to 1918. These military buses were used in Flanders as troop transports and as ambulances, and differed from the civilian versions by having boarded up windows and the omission of the side fenders. The body of the bus was built mainly of wood and seats 18 passengers on the top deck and 16 below inside.A water-cooled 4 cylinder petrol engine producing 25hp powered the bus through a 3-speed and reverse gearbox with a shaft to the rear wheels. The chassis was made of ash faced with steel and the cast steel wheels had solid rubber tyres. Civilian versions were fitted with fenders on each side between the wheels to prevent people from falling under the rear wheels.